On November 15, 2018 the Opportunity Zone Association of America so-sponsored a Seattle, WA event along with the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, the Washington State Department of Commerce, and the National Development Council.
Coordinators expected eighty attendees, but over 200 joined the symposium to learn about Opportunity Zones; how they work, what projects are eligible, what participation means to investors, and how project proponents could effectively communicate with OZ Funds.
Attendees included community leaders, developers, investors, project sponsors, finance and accounting professionals, and foundations. In addition to networking and discussions about progress and challenges, participants heard from panels addressing:
- the latest news about OZs;
- opportunities provided by investors;
- how banks and lenders fit into the OZ investment process;
- philanthropy’s role in OZ development;
- leveraging other local, state, and federal programs; and
- projects for community good.